Stay calm and counteract the effects of daily stress with this tasty Berry Calm Superfood & Adaptogen Smoothie featuring three of nature’s most powerful adaptogens combined into one convenient and affordable blend.
What are superfoods?
According to Merriam-Webster’s dictionary, a superfood is a food (such as salmon, broccoli, or blueberries) that is rich in compounds (such as antioxidants, fiber, or fatty acids) considered beneficial to a person’s health (1). I love this definition because it reminds us of two things. First, superfoods are available to all of us privileged enough to have access to real, whole foods. Second, we don’t need to travel to exotic locations across the globe or buy the latest supplement to experience the health benefits of superfoods. Most of us can choose to grow them in our gardens or purchase them at our local farmers’ markets or grocery stores.
My Berry Calm Superfood & Adaptogen Smoothie includes five superfoods (eight if you count the adaptogens) and is surprisingly simple to make. You can find most of the ingredients at an affordable price at Aldi, Trader Joe’s, and Thrive Market, with organic options available.
What Are Adaptogens?
Adaptogens are a class of herbs that help the body resist or “adapt” to physical and mental stress and fatigue (2). In other words, adaptogens can help protect your body from a wide range of stressors and restore balance. Adding adaptogens to your wellness routine can improve sleep, mood, energy levels, mental focus, immune function, and more (2, 3).
While I’m not going to detail specific adaptogen herbs and how they can support the body in this post, it’s important to know that not all adaptogens are the same. Some adaptogens, such as ashwagandha root, are more nourishing and calming, while others, such as rhodiola, are more energizing (4). The adaptogens found in this recipe were selected to help calm your body and enhance your mood. Plus, they can be purchased together in one convenient powdered mix that’s easy to add to any smoothie or beverage.
The adaptogens found in this recipe include:
- Maca – A nutrient-dense root that boosts mood, energy, and fertility (5).
- Reishi – A medicinal mushroom used to improve mood, energy, and overall well-being (6, 7).
- Ashwagandha – A mood-enhancing herb that protects the body from stress and anxiety (8).
Are Adaptogens Safe?
Like any other herb or supplement, it’s always wise to consult with your doctor before adding them to your wellness routine. While adaptogens are generally safe for most people – they can pose risks to those with nightshade sensitivities, allergies, or other underlying health conditions such as diabetes (9). Adaptogens should also be used with caution by individuals taking medications (9). If you are pregnant or nursing, please speak with your doctor or a qualified healthcare professional before taking any herbs and supplements, including adaptogens.
Learn More About Adaptogens
Want to take a deeper dive into the world of adaptogens? Here’s a list of reputable, evidence-based articles and books to explore:
- The Beginner’s Guide to Ashwagandha by The Herbal Academy
- The Best Herbs to Support Active Bodies by The Herbal Academy
- Adaptogens: Herbs for Strength, Stamina, and Stress Relief by clinical herbalist and ethnobotanist David Winston and co-author Steven Maimes
- Body into Balance: An Herbal Guide to Holistic Self-Care by clinical herbalist Maria Noël Groves
- Adaptogens: 75+ Herbal Recipes and Elixirs to Improve Your Skin, Mood, Energy, Focus, and More by herbalist Agatha Noveille
Berry Calm Superfood & Adaptogen Smoothie
- High-Speed Blender
- 1 1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk, more as needed
- 1 tablespoon sunflower butter (or raw almond butter)
- 1 serving vanilla plant-based protein powder
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon Navitas Organic Superfood+ Adaptogen Blend
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup frozen cauliflower rice
- 1/3 cup frozen blueberries (or mixed berries)
- Place all ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth. Add more almond milk as needed (1/4 cup at a time) to achieve desired consistency. Enjoy immediately.
- Unsweetened coconut milk or other nut milk for almond milk
- Vanilla collagen protein powder for vanilla plant-based protein powder
- Chia seeds for ground flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon raw almond butter or cashew butter for sun butter
- 1 teaspoon of Moon Juice’s Spirit Dust Adaptogen Blend for Navitas Organics Superfood+ Adaptogen Blend
- ¼ to ½ frozen banana for cauliflower rice (reduce mixed berries to ¼ cup)